Thursday, May 9, 2013

Shabby Rooster Card

I LOVE playing at the Shabby Tea Room. But sometimes I just don't get it. I read their descriptions of different card styles, so I kind of understood what it meant to make a shabby card, but it seemed like "extremely ornate" was what I saw when I saw a "shabby" card that someone made. So I went to the source - shabbychic.com. I read what the shabby chic style is. What I understand now is that you can take something old and worn out and add beauty to it by adding pretty dainty, lacy, fabrics, lots of flowers, and lots and lots of white and pale colors. But it's not "extremely ornate." It's simple, clean, dainty, rustic, natural, and very girly. That's my interpretation anyway. Here is a quote from Rachel, owner of the Shabby Chic brand:

"I believe in cozy relaxed settings where kids are free to put their feet on the sofa and guests can place their cups on the coffee table without a care. For me, the secret to living well is to surround myself with beautiful things that are practical and deliciously comfortable."

So this card is the epitome of what I understand shabby chic to be... rustic, beautiful, simple, comfortable. What do you think?


I followed the colors and the textures in the inspiration photo from the Shabby Tea Room. I used an embossing folder for my white strip, and I hand stitched around the outside and the inside panels. I hand crocheted the flower with ecru crochet thread, and tied it around a simple sheer ribbon bow with a rustic wooden button. The sketch is from a new challenge called Atlantic Hearts.


Materials used:
Cardstock: White Daisy
B&Ts: Dakota
Stamps: Country Life
Ink: Slate
Other: Black Embroidery Floss, Wooden Mini Medleys, Spellbinders embossing folder (not CTMH), ribbon from my stash and ecru crochet thread (not CTMH)

8 comments:

  1. That is a great card, I love the simplicity of the design and the natural colors. Thank you for playing along with Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is to cute!!! I love stitching on a card. Great job Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested
    to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.

    My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with
    someone!

    Here is my web page fishipedia.De

    ReplyDelete
  4. great card, Sarah! Your interpretation of the sketch is excellent and I love your crocheted flower and hand stitching.
    :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is simply beautiful, Sarah! Definitely fits the description of shabby-chic (I love the part about kids putting their feet on the coffee table, or in our house, in days gone by, turning it into a pirate ship). The crocheted flower is perfect! I need to break out some of that great barn-wood paper again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and definitely fits into your description of shabby-chic... rustic, beautiful, simple, comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i Love this card, the color are great...and Shabby chic is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Sarah, for sharing your pretty card with us this week in the Tea Room! Only our name is 'shabby' ... your cards and projects submitted for our challenges need not be shabby -- unless the challenge specifically calls for it!

    ReplyDelete